In the middle of Kolding stands the castle of Koldinghus, which is the last royal castle in Jutland.
In 1268 the Danish king build a castle to guard the border between the kingdom of Denmark and the duchy of Schleswig.
The oldest preserved parts of Koldinghus is the north side, which was build by king Christoffer of Bayern, who reign from 1481-1513. The last two sides, the south and eastern side, was build by king Christian the 3th.
The giant tower was build when Christian the 4th became king in 1588.
Around year 1720 king Frederik the 4th did rebuilt Koldinghus to what we know today.
Today Koldinghus has a lot of activities for the whole family, such as: